The Hernando County Composite Squadron is a subordinate unit of the Florida Wing of the Civil Air Patrol.
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, volunteer organization that is composed of both cadets (youth aged 12 -20) and senior members (18-99+). Chartered by the U.S. Congress, we provide emergency services, aerospace education and youth development through our cadet programs.
We are not an armed force, but we are the official U.S. Air Force Auxiliary. That means we wear uniforms, observe military customs and courtesies and even have a chain of command similar to the U.S. Air Force. However, we do not engage in combat missions.
Rather, ours is a service organization that supplements the U.S. Air Force through the Total Force concept. Our missions focus on serving others and include:
- search and rescue,
- education about flight and space travel,
- emergency transport of time-sensitive medical supplies,
- maintaining a network of emergency communication resources,
- orientation flights to cadets, teachers and ROTC members and
- an advanced youth development program.
The Hernando County Composite Squadron has more than 50 dedicated cadets and senior members.